PCNS exists to promote, develop, and foster Numismatics in all its branches along educational, historical, and scientific lines, and to provide opportunities for collectors to share in an organization of mutual interest and good fellowship.
PCNS hosting the 1915 ANA visit
to the SF Mint during PPIE
- History: PCNS was founded in 1915, by Farran Zerbe and a group of San Francisco collectors, when Zerbe came West to supervise the U.S. Mint Exhibit at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. PCNS hosted the ANA Convention in San Francisco that same year. At that time, there were no other coin organizations in the American West. PCNS continues to be a gathering place for studious numismatists in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Meetings: Our regular monthly meetings in San Francisco feature presentations on numismatic topics ranging from US coins, tokens, and medals to Ancient, Medieval, and Modern World coinage, currency, and exonumia.
- Live Book Sale: Our Nov 29th monthly meeting in San Francisco will feature a sale of numismatic books covering a wide range of Ancient, Medieval, and Modern World coinage, currency, and exonumia. Click for details
- Research & Publishing: PCNS has sponsored an annual Papers contest for numismatic writers for several decades, publishing the submissions to our members and on this website:
2012 Papers | 2013 Papers | 2014–15 Papers | 2016 Papers | (2017 later this year)
- Membership: Members receive meeting invitations, programs, medals, and copies of our publications. Many illustrious numismatists have been PCNS members. Consider adding your name to that list.
We invite you to take part in the traditions of the first numismatic group of the American West!
CA Nonprofit Corp# C0447260
All persons with an interest in numismatics are invited!
PCNS monthly meetings include an educational program about some area of numismatics. Members should consult The Bulletin for meeting details. The Bulletin is emailed to members, and then posted here as a PDF several days before each meeting.
Special Event: Nov. 29, 2017 — PCNS Numismatic Book Sale! Save the date
Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 7:30pm
Topic to be announced — watch this space
- Location: San Francisco — Fort Mason Center, 2 Marina Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94123, in the SF Marina District. Entry at Buchanan & Marina Blvd. (Directions) Meetings are held in Bldg C. Check the Fort Mason calendar posted in building entry areas for the room number.
- Time: Regular monthly meetings start at 7:30pm and last about 11/2 hours. Regular meetings are preceded by a Board of Governors meeting at 7pm in the same room. Everyone is welcome to attend both!
- Show-and-Tell topics: always your choice, but items with any connection to the topic, however tenuous, are especially encouraged, along with early PCNS memorabilia, PPIE goodies, and SF history items. Bring new acquisitions if nothing else fits.
- Drawings: coins, tokens, medals, collectible paper, numismatic books — who knows what will be on offer.
- Admission is Free!
- Free Parking is available: Fort Mason charges $2/hour for parking in their inner lot, but entirely Free parking is available in the public Marina lot just West of Fort Mason's paid lots.
- Everyone is welcome!
Future Meeting Dates
4th or last Wednesday of the Month — Board meets at 7pm on the same evening before the Regular Members Meetings which begin at 7:30
- Oct. 25, 2017 — TBA
- Nov. 29, 2017 — Numismatic Book Sale (this meeting falls the week after Thanksgiving) at 7:30pm in our usual meeting location
- Dec. 27, 2017 — Annual Holiday gathering
- Jan. 24, 2018 — TBA
- Feb. 28, 2018 — TBA
- Mar. 27, 2018 — TBA
Remember… meetings are on either the last or the fourth Wednesday of the month! There is no regular monthly meeting in June, when we hold the Annual PCNS Luncheon/Banquet. Contact us to check a meeting date. We update the listings on this webpage.
Payments, Contacts & Officers
PCNS Centennial Committee & Officers — 2015
List of PCNS Past Presidents 1915–2015
Board of Governors
- President: William Hyder
- Vice President: Dan Hipple
- Recorder: Stephen Huston
- Past President: Herb Miles
PCNS officers operate under the PCNS Constitution & Bylaws, which are available, along with official Minutes, on our Documents webpage.
Email PCNS via the Webmaster
This is a volunteer position, so allow several days for a response.
PCNS Official Mailing Address
PO Box 475656
San Francisco CA 94147–5656
Make online payments to PCNS via PayPal using this email account:
Visit our Orders Page to select a current offering
PCNS Invites You to Join
The Society welcomes and encourages membership by numismatists of all interests.
- Membership requirements are stated in the PCNS Constitution: Any person of good character who is interested in the objects and activities of the Society and who agrees to abide by the rules shall be eligible for membership.
- Dues are $20 per calendar year and must be submitted with your application.
(see the Contacts section regarding online payments)
- Dues include all new publications, monthly bulletins, meeting announcements, and any other rights of membership.
Applications for Membership
Use the PDF Application Form, or provide the following information with your $20 dues payment:
Full Name, Mailing Address, City, State, and Zip Code (or country and mailing code), your Email address (for receiving meeting notices & The Bulletin). Your Numismatic Specialty or Interest is optional, but please let us know how you heard about PCNS.
Send your completed application with $20 dues to:
PO Box 475656
San Francisco CA 94147-5656
- Monthly Bulletins
The PCNS Bulletin is published monthly as an emailed PDF to inform members of current activities and meeting plans.
- Annual Papers
The Society issues its annual research papers to current members, and we are now making our Papers Publications available online:
2012 Papers | 2013 Papers | 2014–15 Papers | 2016 Papers
New papers are submitted annually via the PCNS Papers Contest, which is open to all numismatic writers, not just PCNS members. Please view the PDFs for Papers Rules and our Copyright Policy.
- PCNS Constitution, Bylaws, Minutes, etc. Click Here
Contact PCNS about becoming a member to received new publications as they are issued.
PCNS 100th Anniversary — 1915–2015 Centennial Medal
[digital die proofs shown]
Obv: PCNS 1915/2015 in fields of modified PPIE commemorative design
Rev: PCNS Seal
Octagonal 41mm (broadstruck)
Silver and Copper limited to prepaid orders, Brass to banquet sponsors and attendees.